HOW TO HELP
The Americans with Disabilities Act: |
Civil Rights for People with Disabilities
Title I : Employment
- What is the ADA?
- Why do we need it?
- Who does the ADA cover?
- What does the ADA not cover?
- What about state and local laws providing rights to people with disabilities?
- If you have a family member or friend with a disability, are you covered?
Title II: State and Local Government
- What employers are covered by the ADA?
- What employees are covered by the ADA?
- How does an employer know if an accommodation is needed and which accommodation to offer?
- Are there any limits on the amount of money an employer is required to spend on "reasonable accommodations"?
- Can an employer have job standards without discriminating against people with disabilities?
- Can an employer ask about the disability or require an applicant to take a medical examination?
- Can an employer refuse to give an employee medical or other insurance coverage because it will raise the cost?
- What if the cost of insurance will increase not because of the employee, but his/her spouse or child?
- What if an employer’s customers or other employees feel uncomfortable around the employee with a disability? Can the employer ask that employee to work at home, for example?
- What if an employer believes that the employee cannot perform the job safely, and he/she feels that the employee threatens the safety of employees and others?
Title III: Public Accommodations
- What are the requirements for state and local governments? Are they different from privately owned public accommodations?
- What constitutes discrimination by state and local governments?
- If a government contracts with a private entity, are they subject to Title II?
- Are there specific requirements for transportation?
- Are air carriers and airlines covered by the ADA?
Title IV: Telecommunications for the Deaf
- What is a public accommodation?
- What in general must a public accommodation do or not do?
- May a public accommodation require people with disabilities to meet certain standards of policies, especially safety standards?
- What special accommodations must public accommodations provide?
- What are the requirements for physical access for public accommodations?
- Are there special criteria for professional examinations and courses?
Title V: Miscellaneous Provisions
- What must be provided under this Title?
- What other requirements does Title IV have?
- What provisions are in this Title?